Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 6, 2011

We have had waves of up and downs in Grayson's condition. We saw the first signs of engraftment over the last two days and his white cell counts seem to be recovering which is very exciting. His mucositis seems to be getting better which we can tell because he is starting to be vocal again and put things (toys and/or medical supplies) in his mouth. He is sitting up and though he is not moving much he is starting to interact with us again. Smiles here and there, pointing to things, saying dada and mama. We are thrilled to see this and even though we are not seeing it consistently yet, it is such a joy to see him return to his former self every once in a while. He still sleeps for most of the day and night and is still having a lot of nausea when he is awake but all in all his mucositis is headed in the right direction. I caught one of his better moments on video and wanted to share it with you all. Tom's friend sent Grayson a care package with some books and duck feet. So adorable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6iSQi3Envk

His liver on the other hand is also showing signs of engraftment. However, these signs need to be watched closely because they can also be signs of VOD and/or Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD). The doctors are funny because they say a little GVHD is good but not a lot. They would like to see a skin rash but no problems with the liver or digestive tract.

He still has a lot of nausea and they aren't sure why and he is still not interested in breastfeeding or any other food at this point. He is also having nose bleeds despite the numerous platelet transfusions. Because he won't eat he is still on IV nutrition and that adds additional stress to the liver. There are two specific prayer requests and that is for Grayson to start eating again (breastfeeding) and for a very healthy liver.

I also wanted to share that God is continuing to work in my life during this time. I had begun a Bible study not long before Grayson was diagnosed and one of the things we had to do during the study was to write some spiritual goals for this upcoming year. My main goal was to be bolder in sharing my faith. It is not something that comes easily to me. I get in situations where I feel like there may be an opportunity to witness and I cower because of self-doubt and fear of embarrassment. It is amazing how routinely I am able to share it now with the people on this floor. God is bringing me the opportunities and I am no longer stifling the Holy Spirit's desire to shine but embracing and praying that God will give me the words to plant a seed. It is amazing how the God will create moments and a prompting in me to talk about my faith or just simply share the gospel message. I feel like I am playing volleyball and He is just setting the ball up in the air and waiting for me to spike it! (My brothers are probably laughing at that analogy because I never was able to do that when we played beach volleyball on vacation). I am just really thankful for these opportunities. Please pray for my nurses on this floor Amanda, Alex, Kasey, Sam K. and Sam S. I have really enjoyed getting to know these girls and each are such a gift to me and Grayson.

My family is so blessed with a wonderful church family and I wanted to take time to acknowledge Uniontown Bible Church for their loving kindness towards my family. Thank you for your cards and letters, your gifts, your meals, and most importantly your prayers. We love you and are so thankful to be involved in a church family such as this.

4 comments:

  1. What a precious video. The slippers are awesome. I will also pray about the breastfeeding and eating!

    Sending so much love!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a warrior with a steadfast faith and honest emotion!! Thank u for keeping us informed and educated thru out your trial. Praying for that adorable boy!!

    Holley Hovermale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pam, I am a friend of Lisa Anderes. I also lead our bible study at BACC. I just wanted to let you know I sent a prayer request to our group to pray for Grayson and all of your family. I have read most of your blog and I'm amazed by the grace you have in handling this trial. I know God will be glorified in this. Your faith is inspiring.

    With your permission, I would like to post a prayer request for Grayson on my blog. I get about 1000+ hits/week, which is by the same 300+ people. I do have many prayer warrior readers and know they would be lifting up Grayson in their prayers daily. Please let me know if this is ok via email.

    My blog is http://cortandken.blogspot.com

    Praying fervently,
    Cortney
    cortneyschwalbe@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam and Grayson!
    I don't know if you remember me but I am a nurse at Carroll Hospital Center's ER. I have been praying for you continually since I met little Grayson in November, just a few weeks after he was diagnosed with JMML. I have not forgotten his sweet little smile and disposition. I am so glad I found your blog through a mutual friend, Caryn Mitchell, so I could finally hear about how Grayson is doing. I told you about my Aunt Rhonda, who is also battling Leukemia. She is also a patient at Hopkins again now too (had her BMT in July 2010), and has survived things I know she wouldn't have survived if being cared for at another facility. You are in good hands. I am praying for no fungal infections, very little GVH, a healing liver, a breastfeeding Grayson and for him to be able to spend his second Christmas at home next year with his big brothers and family as a fully recovered and healthy little boy. And I will recruit everyone else I know to do the same. Lord, hear our prayers!

    Much love to you and your family,
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete