Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Friday, December 10, 2010

Sorry for taking so long to get an update out but we have had an eventful weekend and week so far. As Rebecca said we had to take Grayson to our local ER on Friday night because we think his central line got pushed on by accident and he started screaming. He let out a big cry and held his breath until his lips and face were purple and then he passed out in Tom's arms. He never took a big breath when he regained consciousness and instead kept his eyes closed and just took shallow breaths. Tom and I had seen Grayson hold his breath before when he was crying but never to this extent. Needless to say we were totally freaked out. I called the doctors at Hopkins and they told us we needed to get him to the ER there as soon as possible. Tom asked if we could please take him to the local ER for observation instead of driving all the way back to Hopkins. The doctor agreed to this and called Carroll's ER to let them know we were coming. When we got there, I pulled Grayson out of his car seat and when the cold air hit his face he woke up and seemed more alert. I was happy to see that and he played with the nurses while they took his vitals. Anyway, we had to get x-rays to make sure he hadn't pulled his central line out of place or that there wasn't air in his chest cavity (a possible side effect of the surgery). During x-ray, Grayson had a hard time standing still and the positions they needed him in were awkward so the tech grabbed him to hold him still which set of another crying/breath holding spell. This time it was worse and he passed out and did not take any more breaths after he passed out but instead just sort of twitched. The tech tried to call a code blue but there was a problem with his phone and he couldn't reach the charge nurse. SERIOUSLY CARROLL COUNTY ER?!? Anyway another tech grabbed him and ran him out in the hallway and he started to cry which meant he was breathing again. I was thankful that the hospital saw him do it so that they understood what had happened at home but that was a two-edged sword. Carroll did not feel comfortable keeping a baby with his kind of "problems" so they transferred us to Hopkins by ambulance. I guess we should have just gone there to begin with but the ambulance ride was God's plan all along. For those believers reading this I am not bold when it comes to sharing my faith but as Annette Meyers told me that night, I was right where I needed to be that night. On the ride down I was talking with the ambulance driver who told me this was his very first shift on the ambulance team (hmm, not comforting but that's not the point of my story). I was telling him how I had wanted to spend one last night in my home before we were supposed to be admitted but now it didn't look like that was going to happen. I was talking about how the hospital would be my temporary home for the next several months but no matter what we did to make it nice it would never be "home". Then the Holy Spirit nudged me to take that idea further and share with him that my "home" really isn't here on this earth anyway because this was all just a temporary home and that because I believed in Christ I would one day be "home" in heaven with Him. I don't know whether that was necessarily a salvation message but it was a bold step for me and I believe that Christ wanted me to share that with him. So please pray for Brian the ambulance driver that the seeds that were planted Friday night might grow into a need to know more about Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Pam. Your heart for the greater plan in this journey is inspiring and makes me very grateful to call you a friend in my life. Love you and God be glorified!

    ReplyDelete