Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Today, Grayson and I had an eventful day. We woke up to a technician coming in our room while we were still sleeping in the dark telling me the mini fridge we had just gotten that day was "running hot". I don't technically know what that means but we had to move all of our stuff out of the fridge. I asked where I could put it and he said "In the next room because you are moving today". Oh, okay?!? No one had informed me of this so it was a bit of a surprise at 7 in the morning. Our lovely nurse Suzanne came in and apologized for the abrupt wake-up and said our room needed to be comprehensively cleaned and we were going to have to move next door to a newly cleaned room. That was fine with us, but it had to happen that morning so we had to quickly move stuff around while we were still in our PJ's. No big deal and Suzanne and our other nurse from the other day helped me come and move all our stuff so it was quick. Did I mention I really love the nurses here!

After we switched rooms Grayson and I got dressed just in time for him to take his oral antibiotic which made him throw up on me and we had to re-dress. I have no problems with throw-up but it meant we had to try to get the antibiotic in him so we tried again after some Zofran (anti-nausea meds) and he threw-up again. Change clothes. Gave him Adavan (another anti-nausea medicine) and waited until he was a little more relaxed and then...success he swallowed and kept it down! Thank you Jesus!

I have one major thanks right now and that is my nurses have been in the room each time Grayson has thrown-up. They are in and out frequently, but the fact that they are standing by me whenever he happens to get sick is really nice because they help me clean him up and let me clean myself up. That is a real blessing to me!

We also had some visitors today. Sharon Booker came to see us bearing gifts which were great because the toy room on our floor is closed until Christmas Day. Plus Ms. Sharon helped distract Grayson while Suzanne got his vitals which are always a struggle :) My Daddy came to visit us and not only did he bring me two G&M crab cakes (mmmm!) but he also put in a sound masking system to help block out some of the hallway noise. You would be surprised how noisy our floor is all day and all night long. I have it running now and it is very nice. Tom's two aunts came and visited in the evening and brought me soup and some new bed sheets because Grayson had gotten sick all over mine. I was very thankful for clean bed sheets and the company because Tom wasn't able to come see us today :(

Grayson also got his first bath tonight since his central line was put in. I think our poor nurse underestimated how much he loves water and how strong he is. I tried to warn her, but she didn't think a little baby could splash that much so we filled up a basin of warm water, put a waterproof pad on portion of the crib, laid out our towel, washcloth and soap and sat Grayson in the middle to have a nice quiet sponge bath. That lasted maybe 2 seconds and Grayson grabbed the basin and dumped it all over him, mommy, the crib and the floor. Somehow Suzanne was spared but you should've seen her face when he did it. There was water everywhere and she just looked at me like "Did that really just happen?" Oh well, change clothes again. We moved him into the shower stall which is quite small with his line, tubing and IV pole in tow. Suzanne and I were crouched in front of this small stand up shower trying to bath this kid and maneuver around his tubing and prevent him from getting his bandages wet. We must have looked hysterical but the baby was so happy splashing that it made all the effort totally worth (for me at least). Next time Suzanne said we will disconnect him from the tubing, put on an aqua guard first and then head straight for the shower.

Oh Heavenly Father, thank you so much for my beautiful baby boy. For patient nurses and for all of our visitors today. I know that my baby is in your hands and part of a plan that is bigger than me or Grayson or Johns Hopkins or Leukemia and that results in your ultimate glory. Thank you for making my baby part of your plan.

Just think,
your son is here not by chance,
but by God's choosing.
His hand formed him and made him
the person he is.
God compares him to no one else-
he is one of a kind.
Your son will lack nothing
that God's grace can't give him.
God has allowed your son to be here
at this time in history to fulfill
His special purpose for this generation.

Roy Lessin

1 comment:

  1. Oh Pam. I am sitting here reading this and tearing up reading your prayer at the end. You are doing an amazing job being a mommy to Grayson right now, you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing your strength with us through your blogs. To our God be the glory in all things!

    ReplyDelete